Cisco Umbrella’s New Packages
With the ever-expanding features being added to Umbrella, Cisco have released a group of licensed packages to cover the new functionality it can now deliver. This post will outline the new packages available and their associated features.
Before we move on to the new stuff, it’s important to note that all the existing packages are not going anywhere at this stage, they are still available to purchase under the same SKUs.
Just to recap, the below image highlights the main existing Umbrella DNS Security packages.
We previously covered all these in another post which can be accessed here.
Umbrella’s New Packages
Umbrella has significantly grown as a cloud service over the last 12 month and now boasts a strong set of integrated cloud security features.
In addition to the DNS security that has been the foundation of Umbrella, it now includes some impressive new functions such as full web proxy, Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB) / App security and cloud firewall.
Cisco have introduced three new Umbrella packages; the first two relate to DNS security, while the third focuses on Umbrella’s Secure Internet Gateway functions.
These three new packages have been named:
- DNS Security Essentials
- DNS Security Advantage
- Secure Internet Gateway (SIG) Essentials
Note: The two DNS Security packages are due to eventually replace the Professional, Insights and Platform licenses that are currently in place.
Cisco’s aim here is to offer more flexibility and control, allowing customers to select a package that is more aligned to their requirements.
Small businesses can opt for a DNS security package to prevent the flow of online threats, phishing and malware, or if they need to protect roaming users that are not on the company network.
While larger organisations may choose the more advanced features provided by SIG Essentials.
Cisco Umbrella now incorporates a wide array of security services into a single cloud platform, allowing company admins and MSPs to centrally manage the security for your office locations, branches and your users, regardless of their location.
Which Package is Right for our Business?
OK so we now have a view of the three new packages on offer, but which version of Umbrella is right for you?
The table below is a useful guideline for how the new features map to each licensed package.
DNS Security Essentials offers all the core DNS-layer security features, including App discovery, Content filtering based on Web category and off-network roaming protection. All the core management capabilities are included, but unlike previous packages you now get access to Umbrella’s APIs, log exporting, and identity-based policies which are now included in this base package.
- Protect users on the corporate network
- Protect off-network roaming users
- Block domains associated with malware, phishing and other threats
- Perform web filtering
- Discover shadow IT
- Integrate with Active Directory
- Integrate with other tools via APIs for enforcement, management and reporting
- Investigate threats using integration with Cisco Threat Response
- Export logs to AWS S3 buckets
DNS Security Advantage includes everything in Essentials but is where you can start to gain more in-depth visibility and inspection capabilities, with the selective Intelligent Proxy. This provides deeper inspection into risky domains and URL’s, as well as deep file inspection using the integrated Anti-virus engine and Cisco Advanced Malware Protection. In addition, you now get access to the powerful Investigate console, giving instant insight and threat intelligence for risky domains, IP addresses and more.
- Block IP addresses associated with malware, phishing and other threats that bypass DNS
- Proxy risky or unknown domains and URLS.
- Perform file inspection using AV and AMP engines
- Decrypt and inspect SSL (TLS / HTTPS) traffic for selective risky or unknown domains
- Get deep instant insight for investigations using Cisco Umbrella Investigate web console and API integration.
SIG Essentials wraps up the new packages including everything in the DNS Security options as well as a suite of cloud delivered services. Unlike disparate security tools, Umbrella now unifies full web proxy or secure web gateway, cloud-delivered firewall, DNS-layer security, and CASB functionality into a single cloud security platform. Umbrella also integrates with Cisco SD-WAN to provide security and policies for direct internet access (DIA).
- Full proxy for web traffic
- Decrypt and inspect all SSL (TLS / HTTPS) traffic
- Integrated access to Threat Grid a cloud sandbox environment that can analyse suspicious sample
- Cloud delivered firewall to create Layer 3 and 4 policies to control traffic based on IP’s, ports and protocols.
- Cloud Access Security Broker to discover and block shadow IT
- Granular CASB policies to control selective cloud applications, uploads and attachments.
Having all this functionality in a single platform is critical to a modern business; it helps to reduce the time, money, and resources previously required for deployment, configuration and associated integration tasks.
Licensing continues to be based on a per user per month / per annum basis.
Cisco have also changed the support model around Umbrella. Basic email support has been removed and Enhanced support is now required with each subscription. You can also upgrade to Premium support for a more proactive service.
Enhanced Support option
- 24×7 access to Cisco Cloud Security Support and prioritized case handling
- Software updates
- Online learning resources
- Technical onboarding and adoption
Premium Support option
Includes Enhanced level features plus:
- Assigned expert who provides incident management and proactive consultation and recommendations to ensure successful security software deployment and ongoing management and optimization
- Highest-priority case handling
- Support case analytics
Cisco Umbrella is a very simple and yet very powerful Cloud based platform that can be remotely deployed (within hours – depending on the complexity of your network). Once it’s in operation, it provides immediate predictive security, both on-and-off your network, as well as content filtering and white / blacklist features to give better control over user activity, and much more.
The new packages offer a raft of excellent features that can deliver additional cloud security for your business all managed and controlled from a single platform. By starting with DNS security, you can easily expand Umbrella with advanced Secure Internet Gateway services when you need them.
Ironshare provide a fully managed service, meaning that all you need to do is tell us what you want to know about, and when. We’ll then tailor the service to your needs and deliver management reporting and recommendations as often as requested.
Our service is applicable to companies of all shapes and size, meaning that even the smallest businesses can get a full enterprise service, and use our reports to easily identify online threats to the business, problem PCs, or employee activity concerns.
If you’d like to get more information, detailed pricing for any of these options, or even try out Umbrella for yourself, please click here to Contact Us.
Ironshare – Security Simplified